Monday, March 27, 2006

Could I Be A Poet?

Today I am writing about writing. I've always thought it would be really cool to write poetry. See, I'm currently taking a poetry class and am required to read and discuss all kinds of poems, structured, free verse, anything and everything. In reading some of these poems, especially those that are free verse, I have found that I really like reading it. I mean, just the way that the speaker's feelings are laid out on the table for the world to see, it's very captivating.
Like I said earlier, I think it would be cool to write poetry. However, I have learned that it is not so so simple. When I used to think about poetry (real poetry, not the stuff they make you write in middle school that fits a certain formula), I thought that the poet did only one thing: put their inner-most thoughts down on paper. I thought that if you were good enough of a poet it would sound like a masterpiece. I was wrong.
In my poetry class we recently read a collection of poems called "The Owning Stone" by Jim Peterson. Today, Jim came to our class and talked about the book, writing poetry in general and answered any questions we had. While he was talking and telling us about his thought process (keep in mind that he is not the stereotypical 'crazy poet', he's just a guy who likes to write), I was really amazed at how much detail you have to pay attention to. Using or not using punctuation, word choice, line breaks, how it appears on the page, etc. Knowing now how challenging it is to write poetry, it actually makes me want to write it more. Who knows, you may see some poetry show up on here!

2 comments:

Heather Smith said...

Writing runs in the family! Use that brunette brain, girl. Not that blondes can't write. After all, there is Tracy!! Love ya!

Heather Smith said...

Oh, I forgot to say, I linked you from my blogs! You are now on a very important list, you should feel special. Well, the list really isn't that important, but hey, you've had your ego boost for the day!