Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"Christian Liberty"

Every Wednesday afternoon I meet with a friend at school and we have a Bible study. Today, my friend told me a statement someone had said and it amazed me. The statement she heard was this: "I have the 'Christian Liberty' to sin." This person, whom she chose to keep anonymous, believed that as long as they were saved, they basically could do whatever they wanted, even sin, and it was okay because they knew God would forgive them. Romans 6 contradicts this statement.
Today while looking at Romans 6 in our study, we discussed how Paul says over and over and over again that when you are saved, you are dead to your sins. Verse 15 says, "What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." It goes on to say that when we are saved, we are free from our past, free from death and sin. Now this does not mean that we will NOT sin. We sin daily because of our human nature. The difference is that we should not WANT to sin anymore.
Verses 21-23 says, "21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. 22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." So what is all of this saying? When we were living in sin, the only thing we were working towards was death. But now, because of grace, we are FREE from sin and have the promise now of eternal life. That is our "Christian Liberty." What reason do we have to go back to sin? There is none.
There is a song that comes to mind while I'm writing this. It's called "My Wants Been Changed" by the Ruppes. Here's the chorus:

"It's true I can do whatever I want, but my wants've been rearranged.
Jesus came in, saved me from sin, now there's been an awesome change.
I used to want all this world could give, but I've chosen not to die, no, I'm gonna live.
It's true I can do whatever I want but my wants've been changed."

If you're struggling with going back to past sins, pray that God will help you to return to His will. He'll give you the strength you need, all you have to do is ask!

1 comment:

Heather Smith said...

Great devo. I've definitely got a new "want to" Have a good one! Love ya!